Tahara Castle was built by Munemitsu Toda in around 1480. The castle was called “Hakou Castle” since the castle was surrounded and strongly protected by the ocean which made a tomoe-shaped bay (Hakou means tomoe-shaped bay – Tomoe is a Japanese abstract shape that resembles a comma). In 1664, the castle was bestowed on Yasukatsu Miyake and became the Miyake clan’s residence. Miyake clan remained there until the Meiji Restoration.
The ruins of Tahara Castle
15-minute walk fromToyohashi Tetsudo Mikawa-Tahara Station
Atsumi Peninsula Sightseeing Bureau Tel: 0531-23-3516